Twilight Assassins Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twilight Assassins Clan

Twilight Assassins - The Greatest AQW Clan Ever!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Fighting Curiosity - Chapter One - A Sign of Things to Come

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Akriloth
Shadow Pirate
Shadow Pirate
Akriloth

Fighting Curiosity - Chapter One - A Sign of Things to Come Empty
PostSubject: Fighting Curiosity - Chapter One - A Sign of Things to Come   Fighting Curiosity - Chapter One - A Sign of Things to Come Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 5:29 pm

The year is 2231. Since the turn of the millennium humanity has beckoned to the call of technology. Advances in computing and the generation of artificial intelligence spawned super computers, able to calculate complex algorithms and invent new technological processes at an alarming rate.
Humanity itself is on the brink of discovery. Advances in technology have allowed the development of warp-drive light speed engines, with the capability to take mankind out to the stars...
Scott Matthews, an ordinary man, is part of a select minority, a minority of GSO Space Cadets chosen to lead mankind on this daring journey into the unknown. As one of the first people in history to travel by light speed, he no doubt does not know what to expect; yet the fate of the entire galaxy rests on his shoulders...
----------------
The familiar, unwelcoming pulsating of my alarm clock brought me out of drowsy slumber. The crescendo of noise matching my irritation levels as I thumped it heavily with my fist. ‘Great’ I thought. ‘Another brilliant start to another brilliant day’.
As a Space Cadet of the Galactic Space Organisation I was prone to early starts, and as a result a grumpy start to my days. As I dressed, I glanced at the view screen of my cell. Well, it wasn’t a cell as cells are normally known, but I felt like a prisoner all the same. The view screen showed some asteroid activity incoming in the next bio-quarter, which would affect General Communications. 'And this matters to me because?' I asked myself.
As if reading my questioning state of mind, my servant droid flickered to life in the corner, before promptly manoeuvring itself closer to my position.
'Good Morning Sir. May I remind you that Sergeant Peterson requests an audience with you, and in doing so also remind you that you are twenty minutes late for said meeting.'
Blasted service droid. Although I was fully aware that droids had no emotion or feelings, I couldn’t help but detect smugness in his voice when he had said that.
----------------
The friendly electronic beep of the closing door mechanism behind me was small comfort against the ice-cold beams shooting at me from the glaring eyes of my commanding officer.
‘I was under the impression that you owned an alarm clock, Private Matthews?’ The patronising remark from Sergeant Peterson did nothing to appeal against my irritation. ‘That I do Sir. However lately I’m afraid I have had trouble sleeping and so I find it difficult to wake up.’
‘Difficulty sleeping? I thought the Medical Officer had prescribed you with medication for that?’ The fact that my superior officer knew this was far from embarrassing; a raging anger seethed inside me as I retorted my reply. ‘Yes Sir that is correct. However it appears that some side effects of the said medication are causing me to have hallucinations.’
They had plagued me for weeks now. Ever since I had been ‘hand-picked’ to join the ‘privileged’ team of Space Cadets on the Light Speed Initiative Scheme, these visions came to me in my nocturnal hours. These were more than just dreams too. They were vivid, and so real. I often found myself waking in a cold sweat, my breathing shallow and fast, as if I had just had the shock of my life.
‘Hallucinations? How very odd. Nevertheless as a member of the Light Speed Initiative Scheme I expect nothing but the best from you. Efforts must be doubled!’ The assertive look on his face and acerbicness on the end of his words echoed in my brain as I tried to concentrate on staying on my feet.
‘Yes Sir. I apologise Sir. Will do my best Sir.’ Although I didn’t sound very convincing I hoped that the way that I had said ‘Sir’ appeased the beast inside him craving for a reason to punish me. Thankfully the situation seemed to have ameliorated as he rode out of his seat and strode to the window. ‘That will be all Matthews.’
I didn’t understand. ‘But Sir, the whole purpose of me being here is for a meeting. What did you want to see me for?’ He chuckled. ‘I needed a full Psychiatric Examination from you. Its only three weeks until launch day and I need to make sure you are in prime condition.’
Of course. The launch. My heart rate raised a little as it dawned on me how close it now was. My mind had been so wrapped up in hallucinations, I had forgotten entirely how close it was to the day that would change my life.
As a Trainee Cadet I had always dreamed of flying amongst the stars. I pushed myself beyond physical and mental barriers to prove to myself and others that I was ready. The only problem was that I did not know what I was getting ready for. Although I had worked hard, I did not expect the burden of that first voyage of discovery to rest on my shoulders.
----------------
Three weeks passed as fast as my heartbeat, as I jumped awake from a night of more visions. ‘Today is the day.’ I thought. Even though I did not feel mentally or physically prepared for what awaited me, I knew that I really had no choice in the matter. I had come this far, so why give up now?
Time seemed to slow as I trudged down the ramp leading from the loading bay to the space dock. As I looked up in awe as always at the majestic space shuttle before me, I could not help feeling like an insignificant speck of dust on the underside of existence. What right did I have, we have, to quench our thirst for knowledge? Where would it lead us? These were just a few of the millions of questions buzzing around in my mind.
As I donned my antigravity suit at the base of the floatation mechanism that would take me to the ship. I was attacked by a vivid vision.
Death, lots of death surrounded me as I stood on a planet that was barren to the core. An unidentifiable life mass the size of the planet itself towered above me; glaring at me with relentless rage. I began to run but it made no use as the unspeakable anomaly proceeded to engulf the entire world...
‘Matthews!’ I jumped out of my vision, glad for the wakeup call. It was Sergeant Peterson. ‘Stop daydreaming and get on board!’
----------------
As I sat, strapped and buckled into my seat aboard the spacecraft, I looked out at the world around me, hoping that this was not the last I would see of my home.
Time had passed so quickly. Without realising it myself the countdown had completed. Therefore unsurprisingly I was startled to find a deep rumbling and shaking of the ship occurring.
‘Brace yourselves Cadets!’ Sergeant Peterson always had a way of being annoying to the point of pointlessness. I was comforted in that brief moment by the fact that our chances of survival were equally poor.
I was not exactly sure of the intended route, but I didn’t get much time to think about it. G-force pushed me into the back of my chair with the pressure of 20 elephants as we engaged light speed. Everything outside my view screen was a blur. I noticed, while struggling to get a breath in, that Sergeant Peterson was having difficulty pushing a button. I assumed it was the button to slow down the ship.
I didn’t feel like flying straight through and alien planet; so I unbuckled myself from my seat, floated across the bridge and thumped the button with my fist.
As we came to a steady halt we were hit by what must surely have been a small asteroid field. I fell on my back from the shock of impact and took a moment to take in what I was seeing.
It wasn’t asteroids. It was bodies. Millions of dead bodies floating in space.
I ran to my view screen window, dreading what I was about to see. The bodies surrounded a world. Well, what was left of a world. It was nothing more than an ash covered barren husk of its former self now.
As the others came around, I dreaded to think what could have this kind of power...

This is a piece i recently created as part of my English Language Coursework on the course that i am on....this is the opening chapter and i plan to write more and add to it when i get the time. Your thoughts/comments would be appreciated!

~Akriloth
Back to top Go down
http://taclan.roflforum.net
Shallhallan
Creative Arts Moderator
Creative Arts Moderator
Shallhallan

Fighting Curiosity - Chapter One - A Sign of Things to Come Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fighting Curiosity - Chapter One - A Sign of Things to Come   Fighting Curiosity - Chapter One - A Sign of Things to Come Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 3:21 am

I really enjoyed this and would like to read more.
Only thing was I found the last part a bit rushed, I know they are traveling at the speed of light but the crew had barely taken their seats before they were stopping, seeing as it takes just over 8 minutes for light to travel from the sun to earth to me it didn't seem like they would have made it out of the known universe. Would like a description of the spacecraft too.
Just small things but I think you have a great outline for what will be an intriguing and entertaining story and am hanging out to find out where all the dead bodies have come from and what happened to them.
Back to top Go down

Fighting Curiosity - Chapter One - A Sign of Things to Come
Page 1 of 1